The role of the nutcracker in your kitchen: Tips for choosing and using your kitchen tool
Most people have a nutcracker that they use when they need to crack nuts and seeds. Whether it’s the smooth glass jar they use, the wooden nutcracker they grew up with, or the stainless steel nutcracker they recently purchased, a French-made nutcracker is an important kitchen tool that can be used for many different kitchen tasks.
Whether you’re looking for a good nutcracker to add to your collection of kitchen tools, or you already have a favourite, it helps to know why you should use one. If you are looking for advice on how to choose and use your nutcracker, you have come to the right place!
Nutcrackers are a staple of every home kitchen
Nutcrackers can be used for many different kitchen tasks, but most people use them to crack nuts and seeds. However, nutcrackers are also great for cracking walnuts, pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts and other nuts or seeds. Sometimes you can even crack a coconut or two.
Most people have a nutcracker that they use when they need to crack nuts and seeds. Whether it’s the smooth glass jar they use, the wooden nutcracker they grew up with, or the stainless steel nutcracker they recently purchased, the nutcracker is an important kitchen tool that can be used for many different kitchen tasks.
Nutcrackers are versatile kitchen tools
Some people use their nutcrackers at every party they have at home, and the kitchen table becomes the preferred place for preparation.
Some people like to showcase a designer utensil for all to see. The nutcracker is no exception. The nutcracker can become a decorative element in your kitchen. The TNUT drive nutcracker is a good example of this with its unique style.
What if you don’t have a nutcracker in your kitchen?
- A chef’s knife can be used to crack nuts and seeds, as well as to shell nuts like walnuts and almonds.
- A meat tenderiser can be used to break the shells of nuts, such as walnuts and almonds, making the nuts easier to eat or cook.
- A can opener can help open canned foods such as soups, jellies or even baked beans.
- A spice grinder can be used to grind dry spices such as nutmeg or whole cloves, as well as freshly chopped herbs and vegetables to make pasta, salsas or pestos.
- A pasta server can do double duty by serving the food on the plate and holding the pieces together while they cook.
- A few tips to keep your nutcracker in perfect condition.
Cracks and chips are the main things that can damage your nutcracker, so make sure you look after it. Here are some tips on how to keep your nutcracker in perfect condition:
- Do not leave your nutcracker in the dishwasher! This can loosen the screws and loosen some of the parts, especially if you have a rubber nutcracker.
- Keep your nutcracker dry. This will prevent rust. If your nutcracker gets wet, dry it with a towel and avoid leaving it in the sun. If the nutcracker gets wet, do not put it in the dishwasher.
- Use a soft cloth to clean your nutcracker, rather than rough sponges or scouring pads. This will prevent your nutcracker from being scratched.
These tips are even better if you have a wooden nutcracker!
A note on nutcracking
Most people who crack nuts or seeds with a nutcracker do so for their own personal pleasure, as a hobby. However, you should always be careful to use your nutcracker properly to avoid injury.
When you break nuts or seeds for personal pleasure, you can throw away the pieces that have been damaged and are not usable. However, if you have to crack a nut or seed to extract the kernel, it is best to do so carefully so as not to damage it further.
Note on cracking pistachios
A nutcracker can be used to crack pistachios, but care should be taken as it can cause damage if you are not careful.
It is better to use a wooden or plastic mallet, rather than a nutcracker, when opening a pistachio to extract the fruit.
The nutcracker is a practical kitchen tool that can be used in many different ways. Whether you already have a favourite nutcracker that you like to use or you need to buy your first one, this article will give you an overview of why you should have a nutcracker in your kitchen, as well as the different types of nutcracker available and how to use them.